Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I store with SpaceGain?
To gain space! Whether it’s at home or at work, get that square footage back and store your belongings in SpaceGain’s secure, clean and convenient self-storage facility.
How do I contact SpaceGain?
Telephone: (250) 206-GAIN
4747 Tebo Avenue
Port Alberni, British Columbia
Is my stuff secure?
Yes! Security of your belongings is our number one priority. Our storage facility features:
- 24 hour video surveillance – both in the building and on the exterior
- Monitored alarm system
- Key card access to gate and entrance doors only during hours of operation
- Concrete and steel building
- Motion sensor lighting
- Individual units
What is the minimum rental period?
One month is the minimum rental period. You can rent on a month-to-month basis for as long as you need space or you can also rent on contract on an annual basis. It’s up to you!
How can I pay?
You can pay by credit card or direct debit. Credit card payments can be made online or by phone, and be set up for automatic pay- ments. To pay by direct debit, you will need to complete an online form. Post-dated cheques will need to be mailed to SpaceGain at 4747 Tebo Avenue, Port Alberni, V9Y 8A9 in advance of the month you’ll be renting the space.
What can I store?
Canadian laws determine what may and may not be stored in self-storage facilities. The following items may not be stored at SpaceGain Storage:
- Firearms, explosives, weapons or ammunition.
- Hazardous, toxic or radioactive goods, biological agents and flammable materials and liquids. These present a serious danger to the facility, its personnel, other customers and your goods i.e. paint, oil, full, gasoline, alcohol, fireworks, batteries etc.
- Gas canisters (e.g. for barbeques or recreational vehicle use) and aerosol cans.
- Pollutants, contaminated goods, asbestos or other materials of a potentially dangerous nature.
- Cash or securities, coins, precious stones, jewellery, antiques or fine art unless specifically agreed with us in writing, in advance of storing such goods in the unit.
- Illegal substances, illegal items or goods illegally obtained.
- Birds, fish, animals or any other living creature.
- Food or perishable goods. Dry foods (like rice, flour, pet food etc.).
- Scented candles or ornaments made of edible ingredients (e.g. popcorn strings, cookie or play-dough ornaments).
- Waste or other items which do or could emit any fumes, smell or odour.
- Wet materials or other materials likely to cause mold or mildew
- Any other item which is dangerous or a risk to health
What type of storage units do you have available?
We have both interior and exterior units avail- able. The majority of units are interior units. We have unit sizes from 5’ x 7’ – like a walk in closet – to 10’ x 9’ – like a small bedroom. And yes, you can move your stuff to a larger or smaller unit if you need it at any time subject to availability.
When can I access the SpaceGain storage facility?
You can access the storage facility with your key card any time between the facility’s hours of operation from 6am – 10pm, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Your key card will open both the entrance gate to the property and building entrance doors.
How much notice do I need to provide when I want to vacate my rental unit?
We get that you can’t always anticipate how life is going to change. When you’re going to need to vacate your unit, we only need 15 days-notice.
Does SpaceGain sell locks?
Yes! SpaceGain sells locks and other storage supplies like boxes, bubble wrap and packing paper. We’ll always have it handy during facility or orientation tours that you can buy on the spot or feel free to call or e-mail us to request supplies.
What do I do if I lose my key card or if it’s stolen?
It happens to the best of us. In the event that you lose your key card or if it’s stolen, please notify SpaceGain as soon as possible so we can take the appropriate steps to ensure the security of the SpaceGain storage facility. A fee of $25 will be required to replace any lost or stolen key card.
Can I get a tour of the SpaceGain facility before renting?
Yes! Contact us by phone or e-mail to set up a tour by appointment.